This represents my extensive and continually growing set of notes for learning the Python programming language. I use these notes extensively with my students and they are frequently updated. I welcome your feedback or suggestions on how they may be improved.
Supplemental to these notes, I have a range of Python videos on Youtube.
Download and install Python from
https://python.org. Run IDLE on your computer (recommended). Open your Windows Start menu, scroll down to "P", and open the Python sub menu, select the program called "IDLE" – make sure the version of Python starts with a 3.
This is the place to start if you are brand new to Python. I have introdutory videos, extensive review notes and practice problem sets to assist you on your programming journey.
- Variables and numbers
- Strings and casting
- Truth, if, else and while
- Lists and for-loops
- Dates and times
After you have completed the lessons, feel free to make use of my Python basics reference for beginners PDF that serves as a summary of the above topics.
Beyond the basics
If you know the basics of Python and wish to experiement with a new package or technique, look through the other tutorials to find something of interest to you.
- Audio (recording, playback, detect frequency etc)
- Circuit Python for Adafruit Circuit Playground Express and compatible boards
- Classes (object orientated programming)
- Excel reading & chart generation (pandas, matplotlib)
- Flask: Introduction
- Google searching (through the API)
- Graphs, generate
- GUI with TKinter
- GUI with Chromium
- Kivy for building iOS and Andriod apps
- Lego EV3
- Networking with sockets
- OpenCV face detection
- PIL (Python image library)
- Publish a package to PyPi
- PyInstaller (create EXE files)
- QR Codes
- Slack social platform
- Telegram social platform
- Text to speech
- venv (Virtual Environments)
- Web scraping with beautifulsoap4
- Windows services howto
- Youtube downloading
# On the Mac sudo python3 -m pip install amazing_package # On Windows python -m pip install amazing_package
(C) Paul Baumgarten 2019