These resources are split into two sections: (1) tutorial series and (2) reference notes.
If you are new to pygame and are looking for a step-by-step introduction to using it. This series will guide you through creating a classic arcade style platformer game.
- Download and install the latest version of Python (currently 3.8.5) here - make sure you turn on the tick box to install Python into the path.
- Download and install VS code here
- Start VS code. Go to file / preferences / extensions. Search for and install the Python extension. Detailed instructions here if needed.
- Press Windows and X keys together, and select to open Windows Powershell (Admin). Type the command pip install pygame to install the Pygame library onto your system.
- Video walkthrough of installing Python, VS Code and how to install packages (though it is targeted to a different course so demonstrates installing packages different to Pygame)
1. Basic template, drawing on screen, movement
2. Animated sprites
3. Scene design
4. Obstacles, enemies, objectives
5. Sounds, music, scoring/health/power-ups
6. Levels, saving/loading games
If you don't really need a tutorial, you just need a lookup reference to remind yourself how to use a particular pygame feature.