A collection of resources for the Java programming language
Use as a handy reminder/prompt of key Java syntax (it is not a teaching book, but a "reminders" book).
- How to build a Java GUI using Jetbrains IntelliJ (10 min video)
(let me know if you come across others worthy of adding to this list)
University of Helsinki online course
The University of Helsinki has an excellent online resource for learning Java. You can use it as standalone notes + exercises, or you can even sign up to their MOOC, and submit completed activities for recognition. They provide the course via a Creative Commons license, so I'm able to host PDF copies here for reference as well.
The online course is split into two parts. Part 1 contains weeks 1-6, and part 2 contains weeks 7-12. Start with the setup instructions (particularly relevant if you want to submit your completed exercises to U.Helsinki for recognition).
- Week 1 online or pdf: User input, printing on screen, conditional statements
- Week 2 online or pdf: Loops, basics of methods
- Week 3 online or pdf: Methods, the ArrayList data structure
- Week 4 online or pdf: Basics of objects
- Week 5 online or pdf: More on objects
- Week 6 online or pdf: Tables, sorting, searching
- Week 7 online or pdf: HashMap data structure
- Week 8 online or pdf: Interfaces
- Week 9 online or pdf: Exceptions, reading from files
- Week 10 online or pdf: Inheritance
- Week 11 online or pdf: Writing into files, graphical user interface (GUI)
- Week 12 online or pdf: Regular expressions, iterators, enum, recap
Some of the exercises require files provided by U Helskini in order to complete. Those files can be downloaded here: